It’s here! I’m happy to introduce the completely revised 4th edition of The Baby Name Wizard, the field guide to American baby names.
If you haven’t browsed through the BNW books in the past, please take a look—you may be surprised. I think you’ll find that my books look different from other baby name books, and they work differently too. Don’t expect to find perfunctory “definitions” of names. Here’s a typical BNW name entry:
Popularity graphs, cultural associations, style lists, “sibling” names close in spirit…it’s all part of capturing a name’s unique impact, and guiding you to the names that fit your unique taste.
So that’s your general introduction to The Baby Name Wizard approach. Now here’s what’s new about BNW4.
- Names. Hundreds of new names and entries to keep up with the fast-changing world of baby name style.
- Style categories. The first major revision of the extended name-style list, with new groupings like “Contrarian” and “Stately Classics.”
- Advice. A new introductory section of advice and background information, including guides to middle names and composing a full name.
- Special features. Look for new style spotlights, and a survey of the distinctive local style of every state in the union.
- Thousands and thousands of updates. I went over every word and image in the book to make sure everything was up to date and on target.
In short, BNW4 was a years-long labor of love, and I hope you’ll find it worth the wait.
Next question: where can you buy it? Answer: just about anywhere books are sold! It’s shipping from Amazon and Barnes & Noble as we speak, and hopefully awaiting you on the shelves of your local bookstore. (Links are below.) But there’s a little catch to watch for. For some reason, BNW4 has the same ISBN code as the previous edition. That means a computer database might not be sure which edition is which. Luckily, you can tell the books apart easily by their spines.
Look for the solid blue spine, the top book in this photo!